VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penguin BIO-Wheel

+2
williemcd
AngelAddict
6 posters

Go down

Penguin BIO-Wheel Empty Penguin BIO-Wheel

Post  AngelAddict Fri May 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Well apparently the Bio-wheel people listened to our input. they've done great with this new filter. You have heard me bad mouth these before but they have revamped them.

Penguin BIO-Wheel Img_2016

Penguin BIO-Wheel Img_2017
Penguin BIO-Wheel Img_2018

Previous filters were great until the wheel stopped moving. Well this newer style has a fix. It now just sets in the purple slots and just spins with ease. I haven't had one stop yet and it SPINS FAST. I had one of the older ones before that never spun from the fist day i got it and another would spin stop spin stop spin stop......
with this newer system if it stops moving just pick out the wheel, clean off the purple slots and the pegs on the wheel and it will spin more.

Penguin BIO-Wheel Img_2019

don't remeber the old impellers or motors too well i do remember that the intake tube would slide easily out of the filter if u just pulled up on it. well now this is where they put the impeller. its easy to remove and replace and easy to clean.

Penguin BIO-Wheel Img_2020

another improvement that's been made is quit neat. what you are looking at on the left is the output but that little thing on the right is another output. when the filters are clogged or ready for a change the water will build up and flow out of this path. kind of a little way to tell you that somethings going on and to check it.

Penguin BIO-Wheel Img_2022

there is also a "surface skimmer." That's what they call it anyway. honestly i find this a bad attempt at a surface skimmer. all it does it suck water from two different levels of the tank which is kinda cool but at the same time not a skimmer. the picture isn't real clean and i apologize for that but that grey thing swivels up and down to open up slots in the tube to activate this feature.

in one of my models the 150 you can even put in two filter cartridges. kinda neat. lets you double the time and the effeteness of the cartridges. the cartridges themselves are well designed too. they have filter pads on one side with a black strainer like plate on the other with carbon on the inside of course. holds up well, cleans well, and filters well too. sometimes they can be a little on the expansive side if you don't find thing right place to buy them from.

Overall a great filter. well designed, easy to maintain. the cost of this filter is a little on the high side but you pay for a great filter. every now and then you can catch them on sale for a great price.

AngelAddict

Back to top Go down

Penguin BIO-Wheel Empty Re: Penguin BIO-Wheel

Post  williemcd Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 am

Great post!.. I think I have one of the earlier models running... But.. one complaint I have with some hobs are: Is the motor a component of the basic unit or is it replaceable? I hate seeing all-in-one HOBS...

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Sat May 11, 2013 12:54 am

One of my favorite filters. The surface skimmer is just a gimic and I suggest avoiding its use. You're more likely to cycle through the same cleaned water if pulling water in from up high. It's always better to pull water in from as low as possible. I've always had more dependable success when using bio wheel filters vs other designs. Overall a great design, and now they've improved on an already great design. I have some bio wheels that are over ten years old and still working great. The wheels are a little lopsided and don't spin evenly but its been tested that it doesn't matter. All that matters is that it spins.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelAddict Sat May 11, 2013 1:01 am

bill it is a downside that the motor isn't removable but it is an overall good filter.

amp, it spins great now. like i said one of my old ones didn't spin at all.

AngelAddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Alowishus Sat May 11, 2013 9:58 am

I've seen people build little internal overflow boxes and stick HOB intakes in them for surface skimming.

Alowishus

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sun May 12, 2013 12:20 am

Alo.. makes perfect sense!..

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Sun May 12, 2013 8:46 am

I'll be darned!! So THAT'S what that grey thing on the intake is for! LOL...I did not KNOW that.
As with ALL moving/rubber/metal parts on your filters......If you use a tiny bit of petroleum jelly every few months on the brackets they will spin better and wont "gunk" up so fast. Do this to your impellers, as well! I have used these (and others) HOB filters for years without issues!! A little maintenance=gooood!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Sun May 12, 2013 9:51 am

Good review but I never used one a bio wheel before.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down